These core beliefs are strongly influenced by Whole Person Librarianship. They were developed in response to the deprofessionalization of library tasks. They present an alternative to the neoliberalist (“retail”) model of librarianship.
- Librarians are professionals with a unique skill set.
- Librarianship is grounded in and motivated by equity and social justice.
- Librarianship as a profession is sustained by its theoretical and historical underpinnings, which are transmitted through the MLIS degree.
- Librarians are called to lifelong learning, including professional development and mentorship of new librarians.
- The future of librarianship is defined as much by psychosocial expertise as it is by technological skills.
Readers are encouraged to provide feedback in the comments and to link to and share this post with others in the profession.